Excellence and Education Network

Passion for Excellence in Education


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What grade requirements must I meet to study in the UK? How can I ‘convert’ my marks from countries other than the UK?
Both local high school diplomas and degrees from universities abroad are accepted by the universities.

When you have decided the course you wish to apply for, locate that course’s page on the university website and check the entry requirements for that course. Most likely, a list of the requirements (such as A-level results) will be there. However, you will also see a link to foreign equivalents, where you may choose your country and learn what grades you’ll need for your exam system.

Because each university is unique, if you can’t find the equivalent for your nation on the course page, don’t be afraid to contact the university’s admissions office directly and ask for the information you require.

Depending on the subject and the university you’ve chosen, you’ll need specific grades. The highest possible grades are frequently required in competitive courses. There are more than 850 universities, so you’re likely to find one that suits you. Just be sure you pick and apply for a programme that is reasonable for you.

Is it okay for me to study a subject I’ve never studied before?
Possibly. For example, if you wish to pursue a postgraduate degree in biology or mathematics, you’ll probably need to have completed your undergraduate studies in those disciplines up until the end of high school.

With a foreign undergraduate or postgraduate degree, you can start from scratch in many different subjects, such as law, biochemistry, or business.

Your university may request your exam scores in related courses, such as math for economics. Other times, they’ll only care if you receive the necessary total grades.

Look at the requirements for the course you want to apply for on the website of the appropriate university.

It is a good idea to highlight in your personal statement on your application that you have looked for ways to learn more about the subject on your own time if you are considering applying for a new subject. For instance, if you want to study business, you could discuss previous employment or books you have read on the subject.

How can I be sure I’m selecting a “good” course?
Are you aware that universities around the world offer more than 50,000 undergraduate courses? You may be confident that you will receive a top-notch education in one of the universities because courses at overseas higher education institutions must adhere to strict requirements.

The recognized awarding organizations—colleges and institutions that are authorized to grant degrees—are included in the Register of Regulated Qualifications in each country, which is updated on a regular basis. You can visit the respective country’s Credit and Qualifications page to learn more about credentials.

Of course, it’s always a very individual decision as to whether a course is “good” or “the right course” for you. For more advice, visit our Choosing a Course and Choosing a University or College sections.

What number of spots are there for each course?
It depends on the university and the programme. On their websites or course pages, several universities and colleges will list the number of students who study that subject annually. Some websites additionally include the acceptance rate, which is the proportion of applicants who are accepted.

Even in a well-liked course, there will undoubtedly be a variety in class sizes. There may be over a hundred students in your tutor groups or practical sessions, but there may be fewer in your lectures. Numerous degrees are “modular,” which means you can select from a variety of choices to customize the program to suit your needs.

You can get information from the university admissions office directly if you’re interested in knowing how many people are applying for a specific subject or what the typical class sizes are.

What should I do if my exam results are still pending?
You may need to apply to study in the UK with your predicted grades if you’re still awaiting exam results, such as when you’re applying for undergraduate while awaiting your high school results or postgraduate while awaiting the confirmation of your undergraduate degree. These are an estimate of your expected exam grades that your referee will provide based on your prior performance.

Your offer will be ‘conditional’ up until you learn the results of your exam. This means that in order for the university to certify your enrollment, you must receive the required grades for your course. Universities are used to waiting for grades because the UK releases its school leaver exam results in the middle of August. However, it means that there is a short window for applying for visas for international students. To complete your visa application, you will need your university’s Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies code, which you won’t have access to until your grades are released.

If you don’t make your grades for the courses you initially registered for, it also makes it challenging to apply for an alternative UK university degree through Clearing (the late application procedure that begins in July), since you probably wouldn’t have enough time to process your visa.

Who should provide references for me at my college?
Whether you are applying for a postgraduate degree or an undergraduate degree, your references are a crucial component of your application. It provides the institution or universities with an outsider’s perspective of your attitude toward your work. Your referee must also write your expected marks (the score they anticipate you to receive on your exams), if you haven’t finished your school exams yet.

A close friend or member of your family should not write your reference because doing so could cause your application to be rejected. The reference must be prepared by someone who “knows you academically.”

For most people, a former teacher, your tutor or supervisor from your most recent qualification, or a supervisor from your previous job makes the best referee.

You must ask someone to act as your referee.

There is a wealth of helpful information on the UCAS website to assist your referee if they are writing a reference for the first time for an undergraduate application. Even if they have already completed one, it is still worthwhile to direct them to the UCAS website because UCAS has modified the reference section for admissions beginning in 2024.

How proficient must my English be if I’m not a native speaker?
The university or course you’re applying for will determine this. You must have at least a “upper intermediate” level of English (a 6.0 on the IELTS scale), while some courses and colleges may have far higher requirements.

When you submit your UCAS application for undergraduate study, you are not required to provide proof of your English language proficiency certificate. After making a conditional offer, the majority of colleges will ask to view your certificate, and you’ll have a deadline to present it.

If you don’t meet the prerequisite English requirements before you start, some colleges offer pre-sessional English classes. You must make additional payments since these are typically not covered by the price of your degree. To find out if these courses are offered at the university where you want to enroll, visit their website.

How recent must my English language proficiency certificate be?
The university and the certificate are factors. Universities only recognize credentials that are still valid after their stated expiration dates on some certificates. The institution might not care how old your certificate is if it doesn’t have an expiration date, but you should check the websites of each university you’re applying to to be sure.

When do I submit my visa application?
When you learn that you have been granted a place to study in the University, you should apply as soon as possible because visa applications might take several weeks to process.

You have up to six months before the commencement of your study to apply for a visa. However, you must possess all necessary paperwork. This includes the CAS, which your university will only send you after receiving confirmation of your offer. If you’re applying to study in the UK in your senior year of high school or your university offer includes an English language exam as a requirement, you may only complete your visa application once you’ve received your acceptance letter.

Make sure to prepare everything as early as you can. In order to avoid worrying about waiting for the results of an English test, attempt to take it as early as you can.

When should I begin my search for housing?
As soon as you receive your university’s offer, you should begin looking for housing. You can still make reservations for lodging even if your offer is conditional (for instance, because you are still awaiting exam results).

Since where you live while you are a student has a significant impact on your university experience, it is a good idea to examine student housing alternatives even sooner, at the same time that you choose your university.

For at least the first year, almost all universities provide housing for students who are undergraduates in university-owned “halls of residence” or “colleges.” Some offer housing for postgraduate students and those in later years, while others demand you to locate your own rented housing.